Caring For Your Aluminum Tool Boxes
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Tool Boxes and other Auto Accessories topics.
how do i clean and polish my tool box
Caring for you tool box is essential if you want your tool box to have a long shelf life. Here are some tips to help you care for your aluminum tool box:
- If the tool box does have a laminate coating, use only water and a mild car wash soap. When completely dry, wax the tool box as you would your vehicle.
- Do not use an aluminum brightener or acid, or an aggressive wax to clean any laminated tool box. These cleaners and waxes will damage the coating and dull the shine.
- If your tool box is bare aluminum you can use a diluted aluminum brightener or acid to clean the box.
- If the dirt or grime on the box is light, a car wash soap will be fine. After the tool box is clean and dry, proceed with polishing.
The best way to apply an aluminum polish is with either a orbital buffer or a variable speed buffer. The orbital buffer is probably the best to use when the box is in need of upkeep.
- Apply the polish to the pad, also known as a bonnet. You do not need to cover the entire pad with the polish - just a little in the middle and a little on the edge.
- When removing the polish, you will want to remove the moisture as well. This is done by using a powder while wiping the polish with a terry cloth. Baby powder works as does regular cooking flour.