Get Chewing Gum Off Your Floor Mats
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Floor Mats and other Auto Accessories topics.
how do i remove chewing gum from my floor mats
If you have children you have probably experienced the chewing gum scenario, and it's not easy to remove chewing gum! Before you break out the peanut butter and baking soda, take in some of these tips for cleaning your floor mats:
- Never use bleach, or anything with bleach, when cleaning your floormats.
- You will need a solvent, such as paint thinner, rubber gloves, a small cloth or rag, eye protection and a pair of tweezers (for the small stuff your fingers cannot get to).
- Leave all the vehicles doors open for ventilation.
- For rubber floor mats, pick away the largest part of the chewing gum. Wet the cloth with the solvent and rub lightly until gone.
- For carpeted floor mats, use the same technique as the rubber mats but re-wet the cloth a few times and rub the gum out of the carpet.
- If there is anything left, use the tweezers to remove the rest. You will see small amounts of carpet fibers being removed with the gum, but not enough to cause any damage.
- Dry the floor mat and you are done.
9/29/2007 4:55:47 PM
Try plain peanut butter. Ude your fingers and rub it in. Let it sit fro a few hours to soften if the gum is hard. Use a cloth, stiff bristled brush or massage it into the gum with your fingers. It comes out easy, no smelly odor, and cleanup is simple. This ia also a great item to remove gum from childrens hair. And is not painful.