Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Trailer Hitches and other Auto Accessories topics.
Once you have selected the correct trailer hitch you are ready to round out your package with towing accessories. Below you'll find a list of basic accessories you must have when towing a vehicle.
1. Trailer ball - mounted on the drawbar or ball mount. The ball size must match the trailer coupler size.
2. Drawbar/Ball mount - Hidden Hitch products have removable ball mounts.
3. Trailer coupler - required on a trailer.
4. Electrical and wiring - all tow vehicles must be properly wired.
5. Brake control - required when towing a trailer with electric brakes.
6. Safety chains - required when towing.
7. Transmission oil coolers: a must for all automatic transmissions.